Tuesday 14 April 2009

Thanks James & Angi!

Just wanted to pop up a quick post to say that the Marble Valley gig @ the Chameleon was amazing, and to say THANKS to James & Angi from Fists who made it happen.

Before the gig I had never heard of Marble Valley, let alone heard their music. To be honest I'm not 100% sure I've ever even heard Pavement before. So, I went along mainly to see friends and the music came second in the priority list. So much so that when I was sat downstairs talking (ask Joey Chickenskin for his new favourite euphemism for this) and someone said "I don't know if I can be bothered to go upstairs" I nearly agreed. I'm so glad I didn't. This was one of the best gigs I've been to in AGES. Life-affirming and just so enjoyable, I'm really glad I made the effort and climbed those 14 or so stairs!

If you haven't seen them then they are coming back in October i think. Their music was great, it had a sense of humour without being jokey and they were clearly all really great musicians. Especially the Maracas guy who played them with real intent! Steve West (the lead singer) was great, really funny and charming and somehow mesmerising, despite not being really "performance-y".

This is a bit rambly because I'm rubbish at writing about music and bands. Safe to say I enjoyed it so much that I bought the CD and me and Tom went to ask Steve West to sign them. I said "Tom you go first I'm a bit shy" which Tom took as a cue to say to Steve West ... "Steve this is Bex, she's really hot for you, will you sign her CD?". Tom, you are a total bozo. I really wanted to say something childish like "No! Tom thinks you're hot not me!" (Especially because earlier in the night I had compared Steve to a monster - in an admiring way, not a harsh one!). BUT, when he turned to look at me I couldn't say anything at all. He had such a lovely big face and soft gentle eyes, and he said "I'm a shy one too". I couldn't say anything, I just meekly gave him my cd and waited til later to berate Tom for being an idiot.

Ramble over, thank you James and the lovely Ang for bringing some new music to me and for putting on one of the best gigs I've been to in AGES.

Love Bex xx

p.s. I haven't read this through so if it's mental and full of typos I apologise!

No comments: