Wednesday 5 May 2010

The Election: Who Wins? You Decide!

Just read an incredible article on the election on the Guardian's website. I've been a bit wavering, still undecided one day before the election whether to vote Liberal or Labour, whether I know enough about either to make an informed choice is debatable. I feel a lot more involved and aware in this election thanks to the TV debates, but I haven't read any manifestos and still feel I have only a scant knowledge of each party's policies. Anyway, this made for fascinating, horrifying reading. I'll copy a bit in, but I urge you to read the article in full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/may/05/1983-cameron-victory-kinnocks-words

On the eve of the 1983 election – which, until this year, seemed destined to represent for ever the low watermark of Labour performances – a young member of the party's shadow cabinet delivered what was to be one of his most compelling speeches. Neil Kinnock knew a landslide defeat was imminent so, speaking in Bridgend, he sketched the world to come. "I warn you," he began, addressing a nation about to descend into the bitterest stretch of the Thatcher era. "I warn you not to be ordinary. I warn you not to be young. I warn you not to fall ill. I warn you not to get old."

and

I warn you that the economy could slide back into despair. Maybe people have not paid attention to this argument because Gordon Brown has been making it, but the danger is real. A sudden shut-off of the public spending tap could well send a frail recovery staggering back into recession: the dreaded double-dip. It's happened elsewhere and could happen here. The US and other economies are seeing the tide turn, but that's because they've kept the public cash coming. Cameron's aim, played down in the rhetoric because it polled so badly, is to cut spending immediately, ushering in what he once proudly trumpeted as an "age of austerity".


I kind of wanted to copy and paste the whole article then. Anyway, hope you're going to vote tomorrow, however you're going to vote.

Becky
x

No comments: